How this site came about..
I'm a bondage practitioner and a computer programmer/manager. In addition to tying up my partner using many forms of restraints, I enjoy bondage pictures and videos, since discovering them through Bondage Life magazine and VHS bondage tapes in the early 90's. Since the early web, I have been building a database of bondage sites.
Originally, this site was a private web application to view and update my bondage website database. It was initially written in Perl that was later converted to PHP. The site database has previously been MS Access, then PostgreSQL and is currently MySQL.
This website is largely built with Open Source software (using LAMP Stack architecture):
- MySQL: the sites/categories/etc are stored in a MySQL Database
- phpMyAdmin: used to administer the MySQL databases
- PHP: All database access programming, and an admin system that is used to maintain the site database.
- Python: for various automation tasks, such as preparing guest galleries,
- NetBeans: IDE for PHP programming.
- Apache Web Server
- NotePad++: my favorite Windows text editor
- FileZilla: my favorite FTP client (works well on PCs and Macs)
- GIMP: for banner creation
Some commercial products are also used:
- MAMP: a nice test and development environment for the LAMP stack on the Mac.
- Parallels for Windows